Master this effective move for strong hamstrings, glutes and lower back
The Romanian Deadlift is a very effective exercise that will strengthen the glutes, hamstrings and lower back. It is a great exercise to improve mobility in the hips and flexibility.
In order to receive the full benefits of the exercise, you will need to have great form by ensuring you are following these steps:-
1. Start with a light to moderate barbell in order to ensure you don’t injure yourself and make sure form is correct. Step up to the bar with feet shoulder width apart, ankle slightly touching the barbell. You will need an overhand grip, hands slightly outside of the legs.
2. Bend your knees to initially lift the bar, keeping your chest upright and back straight. Try and concentrate on pinning your shoulders back throughout the exercise, ensuring your back is straight.
3. Keeping the bar touching your legs throughout the movement is a safe way to carry out the exercise. Slowly send your hips back, Knees slightly bent but in a stationary position.
4. As you send your hips back and send the bar down your legs, you should feel a nice stretch in your hamstrings. You won’t need to go all the way down your legs, just to the point where your back is straight and in line to the hips, torso parallel to the ground. You should feel a nice stretch in your hamstrings, before returning into an upright stance.
5. It will help to pinch your shoulders back to keep the back straight and chest lifted, and will help you work those hamstrings to full potential.
It’s not the easiest exercise to get used to, but once you do get a hold of the movement pattern, it is highly effective.
The hip hinge is so important in this movement, so send your ass back, imagining you are closing a car door with it gently, before driving your hip forwards.
Aim for 3-4 sets of 10-12, I can guarantee you will feel the effects the day or two afterwards!